Frequently Asked Questions

What process should we follow when students who transfer to our school from another school already applied to university from the other school?

Categories: Application Process

You must complete the Student Transfer Between Schools form and email or fax it to the OUAC. You should do this as soon as the student’s Ontario Student Record (OSR) is transferred to your school. If the OUAC does not receive this notification, correspondence will continue to be forwarded to the other school and your…

One of my students has lost their access codes. What can I do?

Categories: PIN Information

You can provide the student with their access information by logging in to COLS and obtaining this information from the PIN Checklist under “PINs”. If you need to print an individual PIN for a student, search for the student in the PIN Checklist and then select “View/Print PIN Letter”. The student will need the following…

How are midterm and final grades reported for courses taken at a school other than a student’s home school?

Categories: Grades

Schools can add and maintain courses for their part-time students through COLS. When a school updates a course for their part-time student, a notification is emailed automatically to the student’s home school. Watch the How to View and Change Academic Info video.

Are students required to include their current Ontario high school in the Academic Background section?

Yes. Students must provide information about all institutions where they have registered in 1 or more high school or postsecondary courses. Institutions may include, but are not limited to: Regular day schools Private schools Night schools Summer schools Online schools

My student can’t log in with their PIN. What can I do?

Be sure your student is typing in the correct PIN. Double-check the characters and try again. Other tips: Use a desktop computer rather than a laptop or mobile device. Use the Shift key rather than the Caps Lock key to insert capital letters. If the student is still having problems, double-check against your guidance counsellor…

Why is there no academic information showing when I’m in Application Information?

Categories: Grades

You are in Application Information and not in Academic Information, which is where this information is found in COLS. Courses, grades and diploma details are available only under Academic Information. You can add, view or edit the academic information there.

I have a student who repeated a course and received a higher final mark. When I try to add the course in COLS and select “repeat” under Course Status, I get an error message. What am I doing wrong?

Categories: Grades

When an applicant repeated the same course and received a higher mark, the “Repeat” designation should be placed against the course with the lower passing final grade and the credit value set to “0000”. Do not use the “Repeat” (code “R”) designation for failed attempts. The course with the higher mark should have a credit…

One of my students previously attended a high school outside of Ontario. They will take fewer than six 4U/M courses, so we instructed them to complete the 105 application. Can we still submit their grades to the OUAC electronically with the rest of our university-bound applicants?

Categories: Grades

No. All applicants currently attending an Ontario high school who completed a 105 application must send their transcripts, and any grades obtained from your school, directly to their university choices.

A student decided to apply to university after our February grades submission file had already been processed. Their academic data was included in the submission file. Will their February grades be included in their academic record even though they applied after the grades submission file was processed or should I add their grades manually?

Categories: Grades

You do not need to add their grades manually. All academic information sent for the student should match with their application. You and the student should verify that all the information is correct. You can make any updates needed using the Academic Information option in COLS.

The Grade 12 students at my school will be making timetable changes for second semester by the end of January. Do I also need to make these changes to their academic data (through Academic Information) prior to our board’s February grades transmission to the OUAC?

Categories: Grades

No, you do not need to make these changes through COLS. Any timetable changes for students on your school’s data system are usually sent to the OUAC in the February grades transmission. The OUAC will update the students’ files with any additions, deletions and changes that are on this transmission. The same applies to changes…