COLS Features and Tips
- Academic Information
- Application Information
- Test PINs
- Search OST Files
- Send OST Files
- Test OST Files
- Registering Users in COLS
This tool allows you to:
- update all academic information for your students, even before they apply.
- add/delete/update multiple courses at one time, resulting in easier maintenance.
- review any errors/warnings related to the student’s information. These errors/warnings may be the result of manual online changes or processing an Ontario Student Transcript (OST) file during a given collection period.
Using the search feature, you can easily search for errors and update course/diploma information.
Note: COLS is available throughout the summer for academic updates, including the OSSD indicator.
Video: How to View and Change Academic Info
Learn how to check the status of and view student files using the Academic Information function.
You can view all application information for university applicants at your school.
Using the Create a PIN function, you can set up a preliminary data record for applicants who did not appear in the October/November data file so that PINs can be assigned to them. You can also use this feature for students applying to winter admission programs.
Contact us for more information.
Video: How to Create and View PINs
Watch this video to learn how to create and view PINs and generate application access codes.
To view the 101 application, you can set up a preliminary data record for yourself using the Test PINs option.
Note: You cannot submit a test application.
The Reports section features 3 reports:
- Applicant Status Report
- Enter your selection criteria to create a report.
- Search by the same program groupings used in the 101 application.
- Sort by columns in the report.
- Available in Excel and HTML.
- Insufficient Credit Report
- View the status of your students’ 4U/M courses.
- Courses Not Updated Report
- The Courses Not Updated Report lists students with courses without a final grade that were reported before the selected Start Date and have not been subsequently updated through a grades file or manually through COLS, as of the current date.
- You can run this report in February/March to check for dropped courses that still show on students’ OUAC account.
- You can export lists to Excel or HTML.
- You can make any required updates in “Academic Information”.
Video: Generating Reports
This video will help you generate 3 different reports to manage student information: The Applicant Status Report, the Insufficient Credit Report and the Courses Not Updated Report.
Search OST File
This tool allows you to:
- search the processing status of all grades files you send to the OUAC, including test files.
- view the raw data sent in your file.
- view a file summary that includes the number of records, and the number and type of errors/warnings.
- determine exactly where these errors/warnings occurred within your file by providing you with line and position numbers.
Video: How to Search OST Files
This video will show you how to search the OST files you send to the OUAC.
Send OST File
Send OST File allows you to transfer demographic and grades data to the OUAC for potential university applicants. You can send a .zip file or select multiple files at once.
How to Send an OST File to the OUAC
- Click “Browse” to select a file from your computer.
- Click “Upload File(s)”.
- Wait for your file to appear in Pending Files with a “Received” status.
- Click “Process All Received Files Now” at the bottom of the screen.
Video: How to Send OST Files
This video will show you how to send your OST files to the OUAC.
Test OST Files
This tool allows you to test your grades file for any collection period prior to sending it to the OUAC. It will help you reduce errors prior to submission.
Note: All test files are purged nightly.
Registering Users in COLS
This video shows COLS administrators how to reactivate existing users, register a new user, deactivate a user and modify user information in COLS.