Frequently Asked Questions

How are midterm and final grades reported for courses taken at private schools or through alternative course delivery types/methods?

Categories: Grades

Day school students who are taking courses at a private school or via night school, virtual learning, e-Learning or correspondence must have official midterm and final grades for these courses submitted by their “home” school or by the school where they have taken the courses.

Are students required to include their current Ontario high school in the Academic Background section?

Yes, students must provide information about all institutions where they have registered in 1 or more high school or postsecondary courses. Institutions may include, but are not limited to: Regular day schools Private schools Night schools Summer schools Online schools

My student can’t log in with their Personal Identification Number (PIN). What can I do?

Be sure your student is typing in the correct PIN. Double-check the characters and try again. Other tips: Use a desktop computer rather than a laptop or mobile device. Use the Shift key rather than the Caps Lock key to insert capital letters. If the student is still having problems, double-check against your guidance counsellor…

Why is there no academic information showing when I’m in “Application Information”?

Categories: Grades

You are in “Application Information” and not in “Academic Information” in COLS where this information is found. Courses, grades and diploma details are available only under “Academic Information”. You can add, view or edit the academic information there.

Where can I find the Schedule of Dates for this cycle and next cycle?

Categories: General

The Schedule of Dates can be found on the Guidance website home page under “Counsellor Resources”. The OUAC drafts the schedule for the next cycle in November and then brings it forward for approval by the Ontario Universities’ Council on Admissions (OUCA). Final approval is typically received at the end of April, at which time…

I have a student with a number of out-of-province/international courses. How do I indicate these equivalencies on the academic record?

Categories: Grades

If a student has been granted equivalency credits for course work outside of the Ontario school system and you believe this information will affect the student’s admission decision, a hard-copy transcript from the out-of-province school should be sent to the admission offices of the universities the student has applied to. In addition, you can add…

I have a student who has repeated a course and received a higher final mark. When I try to add the course in COLS and select “repeat” under Course Status, I get an error message. What am I doing wrong?

Categories: Grades

When an applicant has repeated the same course and received a higher mark, the “Repeat” designation should be placed against the course with the lower passing final grade and the credit value set to “0000”. Do not use the “Repeat” (code “R”) designation for failed attempts. The course with the higher mark should have a…

A student is attending our school who previously attended a high school outside the province of Ontario. They will take fewer than six 4U/M courses, so we instructed them to complete the 105 application. Can we still submit their marks to the OUAC electronically with the rest of our university-bound applicants?

Categories: Grades

No. All applicants currently attending an Ontario high school who have completed a 105 application must send their transcripts, and any grades obtained from your school, directly to their university choices.

Our February grades submission file has already been sent and processed. We now have a student who has decided to apply to university. Their academic data was included in the February grades submission file. Will February marks be included on the applicant’s academic record even though they applied after the grades submission file was processed or should I add the marks manually in COLS?

Categories: Grades

No, you do not need to add the marks manually. All academic information sent for the student should match with their application. You and the student should verify that all the information is correct. Any updates can be made using the “Academic Information” option in COLS.

The Grade 12 students at my school will be making timetable changes for second semester by the end of January. Am I also required to make these changes to their academic data (through “Academic Information”) prior to our board’s February grades transmission to the OUAC?

Categories: Grades

No, you do not need to make these changes through COLS. Any timetable changes for students on your school’s data system are usually sent to the OUAC in the February grades transmission. The OUAC will update the students’ files with any additions, deletions and changes that are on this transmission. The same applies to changes…