Common Questions: General

How can I change my COLS access level?

Categories: COLS, General

Reach out to the COLS administrator at your school. They can change your access level.

My student can’t log in with their PIN. What can I do?

Be sure your student is typing in the correct PIN. Double-check the characters and try again. Other tips: Use a desktop computer rather than a laptop or mobile device. Use the Shift key rather than the Caps Lock key to insert capital letters. If the student is still having problems, double-check against your guidance counsellor…

What can students do if they are refused admission to all their choices?

Categories: General

Beginning in June, Ontario high school students can search for openings at Ontario universities. To begin their search, students can visit the OUAC 101 page and click “Search Open Programs”. Once they find an open program they would like to apply to, they can add it to their 101 application. We also encourage students to…

Where can I find information about the Applicant Diversity Census?

The 101 and 105 applications contain a series of questions about applicant diversity in the Personal Information section. The purpose of the Applicant Diversity Census is to: assist in the implementation of equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives, ensure that the universities are recruiting and selecting classes representative of the Canadian population and address barriers to…

Where can I find the Schedule of Dates?

Categories: General

You can find the current Schedule of Dates under “Counsellor Resources”. We typically post the schedule for the next cycle in the spring.